Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Decisions, Decisions

The hardest thing in the world to do is walk by faith and not by sight. I do not gamble. I am not much of a risk taker. Perhaps that is my problem. I do not enjoy not having control over my destiny, but I can accept the fact. Having to make a decision which holds not only your future, but the future of others in the balance makes it all the more difficult. We have all made decisions which we regret, have done things that we wish we could either take back or make amends for. We naturally make stupid mistakes when we are young, but what is the excuse when you make the wrong decision as an adult? The wrong decision as an adult I call fate. You are not where God wants you to be once you realize you have made a mistake, at which point you must acclimate yourself and move on. 

Admittedly, I have to make a list of pros and cons when making an important decision. I have to speak with someone I trust, someone whom I feel makes good life decisions. Yes, I get on my knees and pray. Yes, I ask God for guidance, but I am not adept at noticing the signs he puts in front of my face. Perhaps the pros and cons list is how God makes him or herself known to me. Who knows? I try not to lean into my own understanding because my understanding has led me down a dark road on an occasion or two. 

I know that I am not the only person who struggles with decision making, but I may be one of the few who makes the process harder than it has to be. Even my decision to write this blog in the manner in which I do was a difficult one. When I read others' blogs, there is a multitude of things which I find meaningful and important (i.e. politics, advocating for social change, injustice, women's rights, etc.).  I have opted to write my blog as though it is a personal journal (even though I have kept a personal journal). I use to read others' blogs and think to myself "my blog sucks", and then it occurred to me that my blog matters to the one person who reads it the most...ME. So the decision to write this blog in the manner that I do is perfectly fine. And it keeps me sane. I digress.

When it comes to decision making the key is to weigh your options. You must be like Santa Clause; make a list and check it twice. Ask God, and speak with the people he has put into your life whose opinion you TRULY value and respect. When it comes to decision making you must also realize (as my husband says) "the grass may not be greener on the other side". We must remember to do what we can with what we have in the present moment, but never stop dreaming big. If you are like me then you are someone who wants what you want right now. Yes I lack patience. I am a work in progress, it will come. Patience like decision making requires discipline, not time.

How many times have you struggled over something you already knew the answer to? We must remember to be true to ourselves, which means that what we want may not necessarily be what we need. Once you can distinguish between the two you will begin to make solid (right) decisions. Make sure you are the one making the decision. Receive advice from others, but do not let them make the decision for you. I hope that makes sense. Also, do not allow fear to make your decisions for you, EVER! This is why I said in the first paragraph "I am not much of a risk taker", but I do take risks. I have found that usually the perfect time to take a risk is when you are afraid. I say perfect because the only way to conquer fear is to face it, but that is another blog, and not always the case.

My point is look to your future because your future is bright. Do not hold on to the past. Whatever decisions you are or have been contemplating, take a leap of faith. Make the decision and move on without regret no should have, could have, would have, that only sets you up for inevitable failure. Whatever decision you have to make, do not spend an exorbitant amount of time on it, and do not force the issue, just make the decision and move on. Whatever option you choose remember God is in the midst of it all. Thank you for your time.

Tempera Mental



No comments:

Post a Comment